I decided that I had better do some more checking on the root causes of the handling problems we experienced with AHX12 that I described in my previous post. I got out the old Alemite Portable Model 3064 Cross Sight Alignment System that I got from Aurora Cars way back in 1986. This is the front page of the instruction manual.
You can tell from the picture that the 3064 has a few years on it…I think that is a ’63 Nova or something like it in the picture. Anyway I hung the gauges on the front of AHX12 and it seemed quite apparent that they were way out of calibration. I don’t have any setup instructions for the gauges but I figured that if I put them on to a pair of wheels which were mounted on the ends of the rear axle which by this time was lying on the floor next to the car and which hopefully will be straight, I should be able to “zero them in” so that is what I did.
Next I put the gauges back on the front of AHX12 and they appeared still to be out by a country mile. Well …to cut a long story short they weren’t out…it was AHX12 which was out. In our rush to get to Watkins Glen…and that is another story… we had decided to lower the front suspension a bit for track use. We only took time to do an eyeball alignment after lowering the car and as I recall thought things were toed out a bit, only to be expected after lowering the car, so we cranked the alignment in a couple of turns and off we went to The Glen.
When we got to the track things were somewhat damp during practice and both Dick and I felt the car was a little “loose” down the straights.
In our infinite wisdom we figured that we hadn’t added enough toe in so we did our best, with no equipment, to correct this by adding a little more. This didn’t seem to change things in the wet but when the track dried up a bit the car was decidedly “twitchy” to say the least. Watch this and you will see what I mean.